Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ireland/Sweden 2014: Dublin, Ireland: Part 2

Before I left on my trip I had looked up a couple of different walking tours that I could take of Dublin. I only had a few hours, so I wasn't sure how much I could get done. I also didn't want to spend money on tours and such as this was only my first stop of many. It's a good thing I planned that way, as I was in complete sticker shock when I got there. I kept thinking that I was doing my conversions wrong.
 
As I had started at the Dublin Castle (see Ireland/Sweden 2014: Dublin, Ireland: Part 1) I decided to do the Photographer's Walking Tour from Tripadvisor. I highly suggest using these itineraies. So from Dublin Castle and Chester Beatty Library (which I forgot to photograph) I made my way to Christchurch Cathedral.
 


 
Christchurch Cathedral was founded in 1028 and is the oldest structure in Dublin. 1028! That blew my mind, that I was standing taking pictures of a building that is almost 1000 years old.


 
The beauty of the architecture had me wishing I could stay there longer and taking even more pictures as I walked away.
 
I then tried to find Wood Quay. I never really did find it, but I did find these fun Viking ships as I walked.
 
 
This isn't a good picture, but this is the Viking museum. This is the only place in Dublin I wished that I had money and time to spend to see inside.


 
I think Lindsborg needs to put one of these bench areas in one of our parks. It was exciting to stumble upon this.
 
Next stop, Cow's Lane and Temple Bar. I'm not quite sure why Temple Bar is such a tourist attraction. I didn't get a drink there, though I thought about it. Just one more reason to go back.


 
Side note - I saw several Temple Bars in Sweden, but I didn't stop at those either.

 
This was a cute little square that was part of Cow's Lane. 
 
As I was looking for the City Hall and a few other small stops, I saw this art work on some of the buildings I passed. I took these pictures for my sister and the artists I have come to know.


 
After looking for a while and deeming that I was lost, I decided to move on to the Dublin Highlights tour. I was actually slightly disappointed with this one, but I did see more of Dublin.

First stop was the Bank of Ireland.


 
As I walked on I had to snap a picture of the Guinness sign. ;)

 
I then crossed the Ha'Penny (Liffey) Bridge. I was pleasantly surprised by all of the different styles of bridges that were all along this main road.
 

 
I've learned I LOVE water views.

 
An Irish fire truck. I took this picture for my dad.

 
Couldn't resist taking a picture of the Yellow Brick Road.



 
The Ha'Penny Bridge. You can see all the iron work that goes all along this bridge. We have then gotten to our next attraction.
 

 
The Daniel O'Connell Statue. Apparently the four winged sculptures represent Patriotism, Fidelity, Courage and Eloquence. O'Connell was one of the first (or the first) Catholic elected into Parliament.

 
Then I walked down the street to the GPO (General Post Office). It was the headquarters for the 1916 Rising. (I really should look up some Irish history so I know what all this means.)


 While I got quite a bit closer to The Spire, I thought it was more impressive to see it in it's entirety. Something you can't really capture right under it. You can see it in the back ground of the above picture. The tall pointy thing. The Spire is the world's largest sculpture.
 

The above statue was the last of my 'tour'. It's the start of O'Connell Street. The statue is the Charles Stewart Parnell monument. He apparently made quite the impression in his short 45 years, but the description doesn't exactly say what he did.

There were quite a few other monuments on that tour, but none of people that I really heard about, so I passed on taking pictures of them.
 
By this time I only had about an hour left before I needed to make my bus. I tried to meander a bit, but didn't want to stray to far. I sat on bench by the water for a while and peopled watched, but found out quickly that some of my jetlag was starting to set in. To the bus station I went.
 
I had hoped to stay awake on the bus ride to Belfast, but that didn't happen. These are two of the seven photos I was awake enough to take. 


 
Next stop Belfast, Northern Ireland and catching up with Heather and Phil McCollum.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment