Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Bird's Song

I had no intention on writing today. I just wanted to enjoy this BEAUTIFUL spring day. I decided that I would sit outside and enjoy the weather. I brought my book and my dog. Mainly I was thinking a nap outside was the perfect idea for the afternoon. Then I heard it. A familiar song. I don't really know anything about birds, but there are a couple birds that I heard that immediately took me back to the farm.

I remember summers or those few Saturdays in the spring that my parents would let me sleep as late as I wanted. It was the song of these birds mixed with the warmth of the sun coming in my east window that would wake me up. It was the best way to wake up. And usually I would lay in bed for a while longer thinking about what the day might bring.

It usually meant a lazy day for me. I would get to take a walk down the driveway to get the mail, with the dogs chasing each other all around me. And maybe I would feel energized to 'race' them back to the house. I would be able to take a nap in the yard (working on my tan of course). Or maybe I would actually help out and mow the yard. Though to be honest this was yet another way to work on my tan and be productive at the same time.

Maybe it was a day that I would run around the farm playing with all the animals and pretending all the buildings were a little city. Or better yet, building my own city with a stick, a dirt driveway and a whole lot of imagination! I could lay on one of the 'beds' and watch the clouds roll by. What shape would they turn into next. Listening to the old leaves of fall breeze by like natures wind chimes. Smelling fresh air and maybe the alfalfa field down the road. It was all there for me to enjoy. To savor. To remember. And maybe if I got really lucky, there would be a magnificent sunset to finish off the day.

Maybe there is a little country in the city after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment