Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ireland/Sweden 2014: Belfast, Northern Ireland: Part II

I ended Part I of Belfast with a teaser of the Ahh ha moment that dazzled me. That place was Belfast Castle. If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for most any castle and this one is on the top of my list now. While I didn't get to go in, the views surrounding it as well as the majestic look of it had me wishing there was more time to sit and enjoy the sites.
 
 
 
 
In the gardens there are nine cats in different art forms. The square to the right is one of the mosaic cats.
 
 
 
 
A stone cat 'sleeping' in front of the castle.
 
 
 
This is probably my favorite picture that I took during this trip. They didn't know that I was taking this picture, so it was a genuine daddy/daughter picture. Adorable.
 
While the next few sights might not have moved me as much as the castle, they make me want to go back and fully tour them.
 
 
This is the Titanic museum. It was made to look like an ice berg and is set just a little off of where the dry dock that the Titanic was worked on is located. I have been known to have a slight obsession with the Titanic at times. I would LOVE to go back to and actually go through the museum.
 
 
Titanic Studios is where Game of Thrones is filmed. I've never watched the show, but I might check it out now that I've seen where it's filmed. No star sightings though. :(
 
 
This is the dry dock where the Titanic was worked on. Heather said that it used to be that you could walk up to see it. I think the museum has now taken it over and it is now fenced off and you can't really get to see it.
 
 
It's still kind of impressive though.
 
 
 
The yellow cranes are those that are still used to build ships in Belfast. These are the same ones that I had pictured in the dome above Victoria's Square.
 
Our last tourist spot was Stormont Estate and Parliament building. We couldn't get any closer as it was after hours and it is about a mile from the road to the Parliament building. This would be worth a more in depth tour as well. Apparently the gardens are quite impressive as well.
 
 
 
Before heading back to the house, Phil decided that I needed to try a Belfast McFlurry. :) They did have some different flavors, so I tried hot fudge brownie. It was yummy. I have a feeling though that while he said it was for me and Heather and Ciara, he enjoyed it just as much. ;)
 
Unfortunately this meant my time in Belfast was coming to an end (until next time). After having a little excitement about not knowing how to get tickets for the bus back to the airport (I thought I could get it online, but that would have gotten me there late, so I had to make sure to get up early enough to get a ticket at the bus station) I put myself to bed.
 
The next morning I remembered to take a picture of Lewis. Should have done this much earlier. Whoops.
 
 
What a cutie!
 
I made it to the bus station just in time. I quickly bought my ticket while Phil saved my place in line. And off I went.
 
 
Here is a picture from the other side of the road. ;)
 
As the bus pulled up to the airport I noticed that the flight attendants and possibly some pilots from the airline that I had flown into Dublin on were on strike. It gave me a little scare, but luckily I was flying a different airline to Stockholm.
 
Next stop: Stockholm, Sweden.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment